The Commercial Bank of Ozark was chartered in 1959 and has served the citizens of Ozark and Dale county to the present. Douglas Brown organized the bank because the financial needs for new construction were going unmet by the community's primary bank. Members of the initial board of directors included Douglas Brown, William C. Brown, E.E. Dorrah, E.E. Flowers, Harry Hall, E. Martin Price and Henry Steagall. The main bank office at 208 S. Merrick Avenue in Ozark is the original building and was constructed by Douglas Brown.
In 1998, the directors organized a one bank holding company, Commercial Bancshares of Ozark, to purchase stock from existing shareholders. The board of directors and some small shareholders own the holding company, and the holding company owns over 99 percent of the bank.
The Commercial Bank of Ozark is Dale County's only independent community bank and fully intends to remain independent. It operates one branch across from Wallace College in the southern part of Dale County.